Welcome to Park Lane
Schedule use of the park: Leslie text 801. 592.1785
Park Lane HOA Board 2019-2020
Jonathan Holt, Secretary
Dave Alexander, President
801. 400. 7069
Camille Spence, Vice-President
801. 787. 4274
Rob Wiseman, Treasurer
801. 361. 1300
Leslie Wiseman, Park Scheduler
call 801. 224. 8787
or text 801 . 592 . 1785
Spring Clean Up 2018
[Attributed to Suzy Dudley, in 20__]
Parklane Estates is a Planned Unit Development consisting of 48 building lots and a 2 1/2 acre park located in Southwest Orem. It was originally developed by a company called T.S.I. Development, Inc., in 1968. Parklane was developed on property owned by the Soulier family that used to be a large peach, apricot, and cherry orchard. The main concept for Parklane was to have small building lots and a large common area for a park that would be owned and maintained by the people in the association. In order to do this, it required the association also be responsible for the streets and water lines as well.
The original plan also called for the street running north of the park to connect with the neighborhoods to the east of us between the Dye (1869 South) and Watkins (1861 South) homes. After much debate and discussion with the city, it was decided not to put that street through, thus eliminating traffic coming into us from the east.
Originally the common area was to consist of a lower play area, a play barn just above the play area, and the upper area was to have included tennis courts and a swimming pool. In order to finance the improvements of the park, each home owner was to have paid $1,000 to the association upon purchase of his property.
The original design of the park was done by the landscape architecture form of Moss and Grazi. Originally, the trees that were planted were shade master locust, a tree that would allow for defused light yet adequate shade, but small leaves that would make fall cleanup easier. Also there was a hedge planted along the west side of the park to serve as a privacy barrier as well as a fence to keep the kids from running into the street. When the park was first developed, only the lower end with a few toys was put in, with the idea of future expansion coming in as money became available. The original plans called for tennis courts and a swimming pool, as well as more park toys and equipment. Originally there was a barn on the property that the Palmer (1930 South) home sits on. The original plan was to have the barn restored as a play area for the kids. With a shortage of money, and a possible fire hazard with the barn, it was decided to tear the barn down and sell the lot.
Each home that was built in the development had to have its plans reviewed by an architectural board appointed by the association. It was hoped that the first four homes built in Parklane would serve as a model for the homes that were to follow. The first homes were the first four homes on the west side of the street as you come in to Parklane. It was also a requirement of every homeowner to place an outside utility lamp on his property to help light up the area.
As time went by, there was much change. In the early 1970s the economy went bad on us. Interest rates were in the 11 and 12% range, and it became very difficult to sell the lots. As a result, the original developers lost the lots to foreclosure to the bank. Upon the bank taking over the lots, the original concept changed. The bank did not require those purchasing lots to contribute $1,000 to the development of the park, leaving no money to complete the park. It, therefore, became necessary to finish the park from any dues that were received.
In order to complete the park as originally designed, it would have required a tremendous amount of money that the association just did not have. It was therefore decided that the park would be completed as simply and inexpensively as possible. At this point, it was voted on by members of the association that we would forgo the tennis courts and swimming pool and make the upper area a large open area.
The completion of homes in Parklane was slow coming. The majority were completed by the early 1980s; however, the final home was not completed until 1994.
Since the beginning, Parklane has consistently been run by a board of directors elected by its members. The date for elections has changed (from July to February in order to allow the new coming board to make plans for the following season), some of the bylaws have been amended, but generally speaking, Parklane has been one of the few developments like it in the area that has been fairly successful.
To schedule an event, please text Leslie Wiseman, or to contact us for any other reason, please email email@example.com. We'll get in touch as soon as possible.